Friday, February 20, 2009

Changes

After writing my last post I got to thinking about how much has changed in this world since the early 1970's.

I guess the major change is the computer. In 1970 we were still using typewriters and one of the computer's ancestors.....the punch card machine. Do you remember those? I remember using those little rectangles that were punched out of the cards as confetti.

We now have cell phones, flat screen TVs, laptops, ipods, remotes for the TV.....yes, we used to have to get up to change the channel on the TV. We only had about 4 channels to choose from. Every time you changed channels you had to adjust the "rabbit ears" antenna that sat on top of the TV to get a picture you could actually watch.

We had no DVDs, CDs or even 8 Track. We played our music on a record player. It wasn't yet called a turntable. Albums played at a speed of 33 1/3 RPMs and the single song records were called 45's because they were played at 45 RPMs. Record players also had a 78 RPM speed that was used by some records.

I do embroidery on an embroidery machine. What my machine does in an hour used to take days to do by hand.

All my photography is done with a digital camera. There was no digital in the early 70's. We had to load film into our cameras and there was no erasing and do overs.

I'm sure those of us who were here in the early 70's can think of lots more things we didn't have back then.

No comments: