Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feeling down

I just deleted the posting I planned to write today. As I explained in that post, I have been feeling a little depressed and thought I'd write about the things I've gone through in the past few years. I started writing an essay about it all but found I couldn't do it. I don't want anyone reading this to get bored. I don't like feeling sorry for myself and giving a detailed essay is not something I can do. Friends say I should write about it. That it is good therapy and would make me feel better. So, I decided to write the abbreviated version. Here goes....

Blacked out at work
Diagnosed with fibromyalsia
Quit job
Went on disability
Diagnosed with melanoma on my face
Had large portion of cheek removed
Diagnosed with Stage 4 throat cancer
Had to have all teeth removed before radiation
Radiation
Chemo
Couldn't eat
Feeding tube for 9 months
My Dad died
My sister died
Had knee replacement
My Mom died
Had to have knee replacement redone
Stopped breathing twice
Developed blood clot that went to my lung after surgery
That takes us to just about present time.

Please don't feel sorry for me because one thing I learned when I was going through cancer treatment was that there is always someone worse off than you are. No matter how bad I felt I could look around and see people sicker than I was. Feel sorry for them, then find someone you love and give them a big hug and let them know how much they mean to you.

2 comments:

Clueless in boston said...

Your post has a lot of power, even in its abbreviated form. I don't know how I would have been able to cope with what you have gone through. Be well.

BAC said...

Thank you. When you face your own mortality it does teach you that the world doesn't revolve around you. I've had it a lot better than a lot of people.