Thursday, March 12, 2009

Red Sox

A few weeks ago I was at church when someone who knew I was from Boston asked if I was a Red Sox fan. Now I have to admit, that since I now live in Seattle, I'm not as big a fan as I was when I lived in Boston but "Once a red sox fan, ALWAYS a red sox fan". Due to health reasons, I haven't been to a baseball game in a few years. When I did go to a game between the red sox and mariners I'd wear both a red sox and mariner hat. Half the inning the red sox hat, half the mariners hat.

When I was young I was a big sox fan. I used to go on the weekends with my sister Mary or my friend Kathy. We would usually sit in the bleachers behind the bullpen. It used to cost $1 to get in. No ticket....you just handed them a dollar as you went in the gate.

I'd give anything to go back to one of those days!!

I had a big crush on Tony Conigliaro back then. If you're not a red sox fan or you don't know Tony's story, you should google him. His was a life too short with an amazing story.

Things have changed a lot since then. Those $1 seats now cost at least $26 if you can even get a seat. Mary and Tony are gone. I'm 3000 miles away from home. The red sox actually won a World Series.

Not a very good photo of Tony & I. This was taken when I was 15 (1967-before Tony's accident) in the player's parking lot at Fenway Park. After Tony's accident, I received a post card from him thanking me for a gift I sent when he was recovering.

1 comment:

Clueless in boston said...

Interesting remembrance of Tony C. I'm certainly old enough to remember and agree his life ended far too early.

My younger brother used to dream about Tony....it was kind of funny at the time.

I hope you make it to a Mariner's game soon and root for the home team; it doesn't mean there isn't a special place in your heart for the Sox. Though your nostalgia for the Sox might be misplaced as they are not what they were under the Yawkeys and are now just a big money machine.