Saturday, March 7, 2009

Woman of the Future

When I was in high school I wasn't a standout at ANYTHING. I wasn't on any sports team (mostly because I worked after school). I wasn't one of the "popular" girls. So, you can imagine my surprise when one day I came home from school with my friend Kathy and my Mom said "You have a letter from City Hall". I opened the letter and I said "This has to be a joke". I handed it to my Mom and she and Kathy read it. Kathy fell on the bed and started laughing her head off.

The letter said I was named "Woman of the Future". It said two students from each high school in the City of Boston were named Man & Woman of the future. We had to go to city hall on a certain day to receive our citation from Mayor Kevin White.

I tried to find out how it came to be that I was chosen but never did.

All in all it turned out pretty good. Mom and Dad went with me to city hall and were very proud when they saw the write up in the Boston Globe. And Kathy and I got one of the best laughs of our lives.

No comments: